Arts and culture-related industries provide direct economic growth for the state and local communities. They are important complements to community development and enriching local amenities. Arts and culture create job opportunities and also stimulates local economies through consumer purchases and tourism. Tourism centered on culture and arts contribute greatly to state economic growth by providing attracting revenues. This creative sector attracts young talented workers to participate in the contemporary workforce. Here are some ways on how the state can incorporate arts and culture for state economic development.
Understand your states cultural industries
Every state should measure its creative economy. For a better understanding about the economic benefit of these creative industries the state can map their cultural and art assets. This includes maintaining arts industry data and performing an ongoing inventory of art assets. Performing an ongoing inventory helps to gauge the contribution of art and culture on a state’s economy. This enables them to maintain important data on arts and culture that can be used to inform state economic development strategies. The collected data is used in formulating local economic development, tourism initiatives, and coordinate cultural development efforts. Creative industries are so important in states and local economic development and since this impact is always underestimated special attention should be devoted to them.
Develop strategies to support culture and art sectors
A state should adopt specific programs or initiatives designed to advance economic growth through arts. This can be achieved through the following essential parts of state arts infrastructure:
- Supporting individual entrepreneurs-Individual artists are important producers in any state’s cultural economy. To support their role states are using small grants to encourage creative individuals, entrepreneurs, and career advancement among artists. This artist entrepreneurial grant offers the opportunity for artists to improve their business acumen.
- Public-private partnerships-States partnership with any key area industries will increase their capacity to develop a creative workforce. Many local –levels successes suggests that such strategies are promising since they provide technical assistance in areas such as planning and marketing. This fosters significant growth in the country’s cultural sector.
- Target specific sectors- States have identified various creative industries that offer significant economic growth. They include film, crafts, design and environmental arts. This help in adopting different strategies such as training programs, to encourage growth in the industry.
- Strengthen the nonprofit arts and cultural infrastructure-Most non-profits serves as incubators, training, education or planning services for entrepreneurs and creative businesses. As the state tries to foster economic growth in the arts they should ensure that the nonprofits have the capacity to contribute to the economic development.
Include the art and culture into statewide planning
After analyzing cultural assets states should use that information to devise the economic benefits to the creative industries on a statewide basis. Such strategies will identify new opportunities and reveal potential partners to further art-driven economic development in the state. Here are the key elements of a good planning process:
- Seek input from stakeholders-This includes identifying the right people to lead to the